Eyes of football world on College Station as 'Bama-A&M rematch approaches
COLLEGE STATION, TX (KTRK) -- It's an SEC showdown this weekend in College Station. Texas A&M is taking on No. 1-ranked Alabama. It's a match-up the players and fans have waited for since A&M knocked off the Tide last year.
Every week the ESPN Gameday crew sets up shop at the biggest games in the biggest venues in college football. But this week and this setting are special.
"One of the coolest scenes in college football, and knowing the history behind the 12th man and stuff, the midnight yell," said David Pollack with ESPN Gameday. "It's sweet."
"We're on a plane at 5:45 in the morning and I swear to you it's the only time at 5:45am that I was pumped up because everyone on the plane was talking about this game," said Samantha Ponder with ESPN.
It's not a stretch to say that everyone in football everyone recognizes the moment and the man who turned the nation's eyes toward Aggieland.
"I like covering Johnny just because he's a fun guy to watch," said Ponder. "He makes college football more entertaining and better for the fans."
This kind of attention for a Texas A&M game is unprecedented. Longtime SEC observers have a hard time believing what another A&M win over Alabama would mean.
"If A&M wins the game and Manziel stars, which I think he'd have to, it'd be one of the most extraordinary victories in college football history," said Paul Finebaum with ESPN.
CBS will broadcast Saturday's game. They rarely bring their pregame show on the road. But then Johnny Football changed all that.
"It's been 15 years. I think Craig James was in my seat then. That's how long it's been," said football analyst Spencer Tillman. "I think ultimately, it's this big rarely. And when it gets this big, you have to be there."
Greg Bailey is in College Station. Watch for his reports on Eyewitness News and get his Tweets @GregBailey13. And if you're in College Station for the game, we want to see your pics. Email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
sports, greg bailey
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?