Astros make changes to coachng staff
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Astros have made three changes to their coaching staff regarding pitching coach Doug Brocail, first base coach Dave Clark and bullpen coach Dennis Martinez. Brocail has been named as a special assistant to the GM and will also serve as the club's senior pitching advisor. The Astros will not renew the contracts of Clark and Martinez. The announcement was made by Astros General Manager Jeff Luhnow.
"It was a tough year on the field this year at the Major League level, despite the significant progress in continuing to build our player pipeline," said Luhnow. "Bo and I discussed how we can improve next year and came to the conclusion that bringing in a few new and different voices would help."
Brocail, 46, spent two full seasons as the Astros pitching coach after taking over the position on an interim basis in June of 2011. Prior to taking the Major League job, Brocail served nearly two years (2010-11) as a special assistant to the Astros general manager. Brocail had a long professional career (1986-2009), which included three stops in Houston (1995-96, 2001, 2008-09). A resident of nearby Missouri City, TX, Brocail has been with the organization in some capacity, as a player, special assistant or coach, since 2008.
"In Doug's new role, he will assist me in overseeing and guiding our pitchers and pitching coaches across the organization," said Luhnow.
Clark, 51, spent five consecutive seasons on the Astros coaching staff, serving as the third base coach for four seasons (2009-12) and the club's first base coach in 2013.
Martinez, 58, was with the Astros for the 2013 season, serving as the bullpen coach. Prior to joining the organization, Martinez worked as a pitching coach in the St. Louis Cardinals system for six seasons.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare 3 min ago
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring 26 min ago
- Car leaves gaping hole in apartment complex
- Record tied at RodeoHouston school art auction
- Crimea votes to secede from Ukraine
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Facebook campaign aims to save dog that mauled 4-year-old
- Last words from missing jet came after shutdown 5 min ago
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV
- Rockets fall to Heat for third straight loss
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- HISD expanding dual language program 38 min ago
- 5TH WARD REVITAL
16 min ago