Jets' Coach Ryan: I didn't ban players from having sex
FLORHAM PARK, NJ -- Rex Ryan has provided plenty of memorable quotes during his four-plus years as coach of the New York Jets. This one, though, might have topped them all.
No, it wasn't a guarantee or bold prediction. In an attempt to clarify what he told his players at a team meeting earlier this week, Ryan offered this declaration Thursday to avoid some apparent confusion:
"I did not tell our players that they couldn't have sex," Ryan said. "I did not say that."
Newly acquired Josh Cribbs said Wednesday he could tell how much Ryan wants to beat New England, telling his players to put off doing chores around the house until next week.
"He was like, 'Rest your legs and go home,'" Cribbs said. "Don't do anything for your wife. Say, 'Baby, next week. I'm going to do it next week. I'm going to take out the trash next week. I'll take the kids to practice next week. But I've got to rest for this game.'"
Some players mistakenly thought Ryan implied that sex was also on his banned "honey-do" list.
"Somebody misinterpreted the message apparently," Ryan said with a smile.
Rookie defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson told one newspaper Wednesday that Ryan's message to the team "most definitely" included sexual relations. On Thursday, Richardson said he was only kidding.
"It was a joke," Richardson said. "People take jokes seriously in the media, so let me be real right now. It was a joke. He wants us to know that the game is important. It's a rivalry game. It's a division game, and we have to win it."
As for his message of banning household duties until next week, Ryan said it didn't apply to him.
"No, of course not," he said, smiling. "I took out the trash and everything. I run things in my house. Remember that old comedian? I run the vacuum cleaner, the dishwasher, the lawnmower. You name it, I run everything."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
new jersey, sports
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots 19 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft 57 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa 13 min ago
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you 4 min ago
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond
- What was interpreter REALLY signing
- Video: Treating asthma by burning the lungs
- Do you know this week's StopHoustonGangs.org fugitive?
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble 3 min ago