Jets' Coach Ryan: I didn't ban players from having sex
FLORHAM PARK, NJ -- Rex Ryan has provided plenty of memorable quotes during his four-plus years as coach of the New York Jets. This one, though, might have topped them all.
No, it wasn't a guarantee or bold prediction. In an attempt to clarify what he told his players at a team meeting earlier this week, Ryan offered this declaration Thursday to avoid some apparent confusion:
"I did not tell our players that they couldn't have sex," Ryan said. "I did not say that."
Newly acquired Josh Cribbs said Wednesday he could tell how much Ryan wants to beat New England, telling his players to put off doing chores around the house until next week.
"He was like, 'Rest your legs and go home,'" Cribbs said. "Don't do anything for your wife. Say, 'Baby, next week. I'm going to do it next week. I'm going to take out the trash next week. I'll take the kids to practice next week. But I've got to rest for this game.'"
Some players mistakenly thought Ryan implied that sex was also on his banned "honey-do" list.
"Somebody misinterpreted the message apparently," Ryan said with a smile.
Rookie defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson told one newspaper Wednesday that Ryan's message to the team "most definitely" included sexual relations. On Thursday, Richardson said he was only kidding.
"It was a joke," Richardson said. "People take jokes seriously in the media, so let me be real right now. It was a joke. He wants us to know that the game is important. It's a rivalry game. It's a division game, and we have to win it."
As for his message of banning household duties until next week, Ryan said it didn't apply to him.
"No, of course not," he said, smiling. "I took out the trash and everything. I run things in my house. Remember that old comedian? I run the vacuum cleaner, the dishwasher, the lawnmower. You name it, I run everything."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
new jersey, sports
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat