Boston Red Sox win World Series, beating St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 in Game 6
ST. LOUIS, MO -- David Ortiz and the Boston Red Sox romped to their third World Series championship in 10 seasons, thumping October ace Michael Wacha and the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1 Wednesday night in Game 6.Shane Victorino drove in four runs and John Lackey pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning as the Red Sox clinched a crown on their own field for the first time since 1918.
Fenway Park was rollicking, with the crowd standing from the very first pitch. Victorino lined a three-run double off the Green Monster in the third, and the cheers, chants and singing of "Sweet Caroline" only got louder after that.
Many fans paid over $1,000 per ticket for this night, eager to be part of an in-house celebration that had been building for nearly a century.
Ortiz drew three walks and scored twice. He reached base a whopping 19 times in 25 plate appearances.
No other details were immediately available.
Stay with Eyewitness News for the latest details.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas 20 min ago
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 9 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Runoff to determine new Montgomery County judge
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 290 missing, 6 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 2 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
34 min ago
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos