Wade Phillips named Texans interim head coach
raw video: Kubiak collapses on field during halftime
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Texans announce that Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips will assume the role as interim head coach.
Head Coach Gary Kubiak became dizzy and light-headed Sunday night, causing him to stop and kneel down on his way off the sidelines at halftime. He was admitted to a Methodist hospital in the Medical Center. He was released Tuesday morning.
After multiple tests and diagnostics, it was concluded Kubiak experienced a transient ischemic attack (TIA). He is expected to make a full recovery.
Statement from Houston Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak: "I want to thank my family, the McNair family, the Texans organization, the doctors and staff at Houston Methodist and the entire Houston community for all the love and support we have received over the past three days. I've been through an ordeal and my focus now is to get back to good health. Doctors have told me I will make a full recovery but we have not determined when I will be cleared to return to the office. Again, thank you for the support and concern."
It has not yet been determined when Kubiak will return to his coaching duties.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight 50 min ago
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident along Beltway feeder 24 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Moisture moves back with with rain chances rising