TSU college basketball star Aaric Murray overcomes obstacles, now possible NBA prospect again
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texas Southern Center Aaric Murray is one of the top scorers in the country but the road to stardom was rough, including a drug arrest and then he kicked off a different program. He got his biggest rebound at TSU.
"Not having as many distractions is good for me," said Murray.
Murray is a changed man. He's got the look and touch of a college basketball superstar but the TSU senior has had to battle demons.
First he transferred out of Lasalle to West Virginia and then a drug arrest followed by what appeared to be the end of his career. He was kicked off the Mountaineers basketball team.
"I got real low. I wanted to quit basketball actually but the coaches told me to keep faith. And to just believe in him and believe in where I wanted to be and things have been going well," Murray said.
Sometimes it's all about the right change of scenery. At his lowest point, Texas Southern head coach Mike Davis provided the right atmosphere for Murray to reach his personal and basketball potential.
"I just think with Aaric you just need to understand him and talk to him a lot. We do talk every day," said Coach Davis.
"I just stay out of trouble now. It's no real structure. I am not getting punished or anything. I am just stay away from the nonsense."
Now Aaric has a lot of tattoos, in fact he says he lost count after 67 of them but his most important one is on his neck and it says, 'no worries.'
"After getting out of Glenn Mills, that was a rough and after that I figured I had no more worries," he said.
The cleaned up and polished Murray now mentioned as a possible NBA first round pick.
"He is definitely NBA talent this year. He needs to pick up 15-20 pounds from a strength stand point. He is a talent and one of the best guys I have ever coached," said Coach Davis.
"Yeah this is my last go around, I can't mess this one up," said Murray.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
sports, david nuno
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in NE Houston 13 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Information on price tags decoded
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY 1 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
17 min ago