Cincinnati knocks Horns from NCAA tournament
NASHVILLE, TN -- Yancy Gates had 15 points and 10 rebounds as Cincinnati withstood a late rally by Texas to win 65-59 on Friday in the second round of the NCAA tournament's East Regional.
The sixth-seeded Bearcats (25-10) jumped out to a 16-2 lead while Texas opened the game 1 of 14 and hit 16 percent for the entire first half.
After trailing 31-17 at halftime, the Longhorns attacked, hitting five of their first seven from 3-point range.
With 3:44 to play, Texas' Jonathan Holmes hit a layup to tie it at 52, but the Longhorns would get no closer. Gates hit a shot over Clint Chapman's head with 1:11 to give Cincinnati a 58-52 lead, and the Bearcats hit five free throws in the final 36 seconds.
J'Covan Brown led No. 11 seed Texas (20-14) with 19 points, and Chapman had 10 points and 14 rebounds.
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations 50 min ago
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 38 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Parents distracted by devices, study says