Rice among 8-team Texas contingent for NCAAs
DALLAS, TX -- Baylor is the No. 4 seed nationally and leads an eight-team Texas contingent in the NCAA baseball tournament, while the Texas Longhorns will miss the postseason for the first time since 1998.
The seeding awarded Monday means the Bears (44-14) will get to host one of eight super regionals if they win the Waco regional that includes Dallas Baptist (39-17), Texas-Arlington (36-23) and Oral Roberts. Baylor opens against Oral Roberts.
Rice and Texas A&M also are hosting double-elimination regionals. The Owls (40-17) face Prairie View (28-23) in their opener, while Sam Houston State (38-20) faces Arkansas.
The Aggies (42-16) open against Dayton, and TCU (36-19) will face Ole Miss.
All the regionals start Friday.
The Longhorns last missed the tournament in coach Augie Garrido's second season.
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston 4 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers