Marshall rushes past Rice in double overtime
HOUSTON -- Kevin Grooms rushed for three touchdowns, including the game-winner in double-overtime, as Marshall defeated Rice 54-51 Saturday in the Conference USA opener for both schools.Grooms' 5-yard TD run in double-OT came after the Thundering Herd (2-2) held the Owls (1-3) to a field goal on their possession.
Groom had 103 yards rushing on 12 carries, Steward Butler added 166 yards and a TD on 18 carries, and Marshall finished with 334 yards on the ground. Rakeem Cato was 28 of 39 for 259 yards and two touchdowns.
That was enough to overcome Rice quarterback Taylor McHargue, who threw for 314 yards and three TDs while also rushing for 153 yards and a score.
McHargue scored on a 43-yard run with 3:17 left in regulation, and Rice added a 23-yard field goal by Chris Boswell with no time left to send the game into overtime.
- weather: Rain moving through our area 28 min ago
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods