UH keeps Bayou Bucket with 35-14 win over Rice
HOUSTON -- Charles Sims ran for three touchdowns as Houston defeated Rice 35-14 for its first win of the season Saturday afternoon in Reliant Stadium.Sims scored on a 3-yard run and a 47-yard run that put the Cougars up 28-0 in the third quarter. He would later make a 16-yard run for his third touchdown. David Piland was 26 of 43 for 361 yards and two touchdowns, including a 31-yard pass to Daniel Spencer and a 25-yard pass to Larry McDuffey.
Rice scored in the third quarter when Sam McGuffie caught a 24-yard pass from Driphus Jackson. The two connected again for a touchdown on an 88-yard pass.
Houston (1-3, 1-0) opened its final season of Conference USA play before moving to the Big East.
Rice (1-4, 0-2) had hoped to rebound from an overtime loss to Marshall.
With the win, the University of Houston keeps the Bayou Bucket, the annual prize awarded to the winner of the Rice-UH game.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course