UH keeps Bayou Bucket with 35-14 win over Rice
HOUSTON -- Charles Sims ran for three touchdowns as Houston defeated Rice 35-14 for its first win of the season Saturday afternoon in Reliant Stadium.Sims scored on a 3-yard run and a 47-yard run that put the Cougars up 28-0 in the third quarter. He would later make a 16-yard run for his third touchdown. David Piland was 26 of 43 for 361 yards and two touchdowns, including a 31-yard pass to Daniel Spencer and a 25-yard pass to Larry McDuffey.
Rice scored in the third quarter when Sam McGuffie caught a 24-yard pass from Driphus Jackson. The two connected again for a touchdown on an 88-yard pass.
Houston (1-3, 1-0) opened its final season of Conference USA play before moving to the Big East.
Rice (1-4, 0-2) had hoped to rebound from an overtime loss to Marshall.
With the win, the University of Houston keeps the Bayou Bucket, the annual prize awarded to the winner of the Rice-UH game.
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos