University of Houston unveils renderings of new football stadium
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The University of Houston is making changes on campus with a new football stadium and new looks to some of its buildings. The construction of the football stadium has hit a milestone: it is now officially halfway finished.Red beams, signed by local donors, alumni, students, staff and athletes were put in place Monday.
"It means commitment to our program, and certainly there's a lot of excitement right now," said Mack Rhoades, vice president of UH Athletics. "We're 6-1 and the stadium is being built, and recruits notice it."
The $120 million stadium is scheduled to open in August 2014 with 40,000 seats.
Head Football Coach Tony Levine says the new stadium will be a big recruiting draw.
"When you talk to young men that you're recruiting in high school and junior colleges, for them to have the opportunity to play in a brand new on campus football facility -- one of the nicest in the country -- is something that's important to them," Levine said..
But this new stadium isn't just about football. Eighty percent of UH students come from the Houston area, and many commute to class. That means only 15 percent of students live on campus, and the university is trying to change that.
"Students who live on campus are more successful in the classroom," UH Assistant Vice Chancellor Emily Messa said. "By connecting that academic space with where the students live, we can have our students and our faculty all engaged."
The university opened two new dorms this fall, adding 1,900 more beds on campus.
"When you couple that with a brand new football facility, it's exciting not only for our student athletes but for our student population as well," Levine said.
university of houston, ncaa, college, pooja lodhia
- Emergency spacewalk may be needed on ISS
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party 17 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating 5 min ago
- Girl's mom applauds suspension of kissing 6-year-old
- Masked men with guns smash into jewelry store
- Von Trapps' Vt. lodge taps interest in new musical 3 min ago
- Chase suspect takes out light pole in Bellaire