Source: Texas Arlington moving to Sun Belt
Texas Arlington has accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference, pending the approval of the school's board of regents, a source said.Texas Arlington plans to accept an invitation to join the Sun Belt Conference, pending the approval of the school's board of regents, a source said.
The Mavericks, coming from the Southland Conference, will join Texas State and Georgia State as new members of the Sun Belt, which lost North Texas and Florida International to Conference USA this week.
UT Arlington does not play football, although the school intends to explore building a football program after completing an upgrade of the baseball and softball facilities.
The school opened a $78 million basketball arena this year. New Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson attended the opening of the 7,000-seat College Park Center.
The Mavericks' men's basketball program is 103-82 under coach Scott Cross. They made their first NCAA tournament appearance in 2008 and set a school record with 24 wins last season, winning the Southland's regular-season title.
UT Arlington baseball program, which is 27-19 this season, has played in the NCAA tournament four times, most recently in 2006.
- Scattered storms possible in our area this weekend
- Video shows person of interest in Cy-Fair area arson 49 min ago
- Person found shot, killed in SW Houston parking lot
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- Man accused of shooting girlfriend's relatives in SE Houston
- Houston city pools open for the summer 2 min ago
- City Elections in Houston: The Disappearing Urban Voters
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Chinese dog skateboars, rides toy cars
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos