Anderson University D-lineman collapses, dies
An Anderson University football player has died after he collapsed in an intramural basketball game.ANDERSON, Ind. -- An Anderson University football player has died after he collapsed in an intramural basketball game.
In a statement Friday, the central Indiana college said sophomore Xavier Walton was playing basketball in the Kardatzke Wellness Center when he collapsed Thursday night. The northwest Indiana native died later at a hospital in Anderson, about 30 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
An autopsy was performed Friday, but the Madison County coroner didn't immediately release the cause of death.
Walton was a defensive lineman and was studying visual communication and design. He had graduated from the Thea Bowman Leadership Academy in Gary.
Classmates and school staff held prayers for Walton and his family Thursday night in Reardon Auditorium.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant 51 min ago
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 38 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man 20 min ago
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos