Fight breaks out during 170-35 basketball rout
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Was a 135-point victory in a high school basketball game simply bad sportsmanship?
The 4A defending state champion Yates Lions are averaging 115 points a game this season. They're ranked No. 5 in the nation by ESPN. They've scored more than 130 points five times in 14 games as they chased the state record of 166 set by Hardin-Jefferson in 1992.
The Lions were even hoping to hit 200 points against Lee on Tuesday night. Yates did set a new state record in a 170-35 win, but not everyone was happy about it.
"We talked on the way to the game on the bus about getting 200 and setting that record," said one Lions player.
By halftime, the Lions were half way there, outscoring Lee 100-12.
At the start of the second half, Yates left its starters in the game and continued its frantic full-court press despite the lopsided score. But the friction on the floor was high. A hard foul was thrown by a Lee player and a fight ensued. Lee's coach threatened to forfeit the game. Then the referees and coaches made the decision to each leave only five players on their team to finish the game.
"They got a little frustrated from the score and they went and fouled our guy on purpose. We talked to our guys about not reacting to that, so I'm a little disappointed that we reacted to them doing something," said Greg Wise, Yates basketball coach.
Wise said he did not just play his starting five, but all of his players got in the game.
The teams tip off against each other in what should be an interesting rematch on Friday, January 29 at the Barnett Complex.
high school, christine dobbyn
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'