Davis' 4 TDs lead Southlake Carroll to title
ARLINGTON, TX -- Will Davis caused and recovered a fumble that set up quarterback Kenny Hill's 7-yard go-ahead scoring run -- one of his four touchdowns -- in Southlake Carroll's 36-29 victory over Fort Bend Hightower in the Class 5A Division I state championship game Saturday.
[SPORTS BLOG: Read the latest from the Eyewitness Sports team]
Hill, named the game's most valuable offensive player, scored two rushing touchdowns and two passing and accounted for 345 total yards from scrimmage for the Dragons (16-0), who won the school's eighth state football championship in front of 42,896 at Cowboys Stadium.
Hill, a junior, was 19-of-24 passing for 229 yards. Davis, named the game's most valuable defensive player, had eight tackles and was part of a key sack of Hurricanes quarterback Bralon Addison, forcing a punt on what turned out to be Hightower's last possession.
Sabian Holmes had 138 yards on 11 catches and a touchdown for Carroll.
Addison, with 184 yards rushing, scored two touchdowns -- one on an 80-yard run -- for Fort Bend Hightower (13-3), which was making its second championship-game appearance.
The Hurricanes held a nine-point lead when Hill found Holmes on a 59-yard touchdown pass over the middle to cut Hightower's edge to 23-21.
The Dragons went ahead for the first time since an early 3-0 lead on Hill's 25-yard scoring strike to Corey Kemp with 2:49 left in the third quarter.
Addison also had a touchdown pass to Ryan Nelson. Jaquinn Henderson had a 5-yard touchdown run for the Hurricanes' first score.
high school football, high school
- Homeowner shoots intruder in NW Harris County
- HISD meet to discuss new budget proposal
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Woman at odds with auto shop after car gets stolen
- Bicyclist hit by SUV in Walmart parking lot in NW Harris Co.
- Uncle: Aaron Hernandez had connection to murder victim
- Four cars go up in flames at apartment complex parking lot 3 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Houston bus company owner faces charges from 2008 crash
- Stampede over Beckham injures 5 in Shanghai
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos