Astros' Schafer arrested on drug charges
TAMPA, FL (KTRK) -- A Houston Astros player was arrested overnight on drug charges in Tampa, Florida.
Jordan Schafer is charged with possession of marijuana. According to the Tampa Police Department, at around 12:30am Tuesday officers in an unmarked car smelled marijuana coming from a Land Rover that pulled up alongside them at a stop light. Officers say they saw the driver smoking a marijuana blunt.
Tampa police say Schafer admitted the marijuana was his and his alone. When the officers searched the vehicle they say they located a plastic container of marijuana along with three small marijuana peanut butter cups.
According to police, Schafer was taken into custody without incident and the Land Rover was seized and held for forfeiture.
Schafer, 25, is out of jail after posting a $2,000 bond.
The outfielder came to the Astros via a mid-season trade with Atlanta for Michael Bourn. Schafer played in 30 games with the 'Stros, batting .245 with 1 home run, 6 RBI and 7 stolen bases.
The Astros released a statement saying they have no comment because it is a police matter.
houston astros, mlb, mlb
- Montgomery County DWI cases under scrutiny
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: Teen at center of alleged assault partially lied
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves
- Houston city pools open this weekend
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos