Astros' Schafer arrested on drug charges
TAMPA, FL (KTRK) -- A Houston Astros player was arrested overnight on drug charges in Tampa, Florida.
Jordan Schafer is charged with possession of marijuana. According to the Tampa Police Department, at around 12:30am Tuesday officers in an unmarked car smelled marijuana coming from a Land Rover that pulled up alongside them at a stop light. Officers say they saw the driver smoking a marijuana blunt.
Tampa police say Schafer admitted the marijuana was his and his alone. When the officers searched the vehicle they say they located a plastic container of marijuana along with three small marijuana peanut butter cups.
According to police, Schafer was taken into custody without incident and the Land Rover was seized and held for forfeiture.
Schafer, 25, is out of jail after posting a $2,000 bond.
The outfielder came to the Astros via a mid-season trade with Atlanta for Michael Bourn. Schafer played in 30 games with the 'Stros, batting .245 with 1 home run, 6 RBI and 7 stolen bases.
The Astros released a statement saying they have no comment because it is a police matter.
houston astros, mlb, mlb
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Girl, 10, found safely after overnight search
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 13 min ago
- Police: Multiple casualties following London theater collapse 19 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 20 min ago
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death 6 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- METRO bus involved in accident near Reliant Park
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos