Houston Astros minor league prospect Jonathan Singleton gets 50-game drug suspension
HOUSTON -- A minor league player in the Houston Astros' organization was suspended 50 games Wednesday after a second violation for a drug of abuse.
First baseman Jonathan Singleton was penalized Wednesday by the commissioner's office. He was the first player banned this year under the minor league drug program.
The 21-year-old Singleton hit .284 with 21 home runs and 79 RBIs at Double-A Corpus Christi. Singleton, who also plays outfield, was traded by selected by Philadelphia on the eighth round of the 2009 amateur draft and traded to Houston in July 2011 in the deal for Hunter Pence.
"We are disappointed in the decisions that Jonathan made leading up to this positive test," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "Jonathan has expressed regret for his decision, and we expect will take the necessary steps to ensure this doesn't happen again. He has owned up to his actions and that is a necessary first step. The Astros will support Jonathan through this difficult time and we hope this example will prevent other athletes from making similar decisions."
There were 105 suspensions last year under the minor league drug problem and eight under the major league program.
houston astros, mlb, mlb
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death 24 min ago
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown 1 min ago
- Thieves get away with $100,000 in loot 15 min ago
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- Texas AG sues to get Galveston Co. judge off bench 18 min ago
- Overturned big rig causing rush hour problems on 288 58 min ago
- Jodi Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake 35 min ago
- Child at center of Amber Alert found safe 35 min ago
- Baby found in trash bag can have new parents
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
- Ancient Egyptian exhibit to expand in Houston
28 min ago