France wins EuroBasket for first major title
France has won its first major basketball title, beating Lithuania 80-66 on Sunday in the final of the European championship.
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia -- France has won its first major basketball title, beating Lithuania 80-66 on Sunday in the final of the European championship.
San Antonio Spurs star Tony Parker had a quiet game for France, which broke open a close contest by closing the third quarter with a 14-0 run that kept Lithuania scoreless for 4 minutes. France's lead grew to 22 with 3 minutes remaining in the third and Lithuania never recovered.
Nicolas Batum of the Portland Trail Blazers scored 17 points, and Boris Diaw -- Parker's Spurs teammate -- added 15 for France. Parker finished with 12 points after scoring only four through the first three quarters.
Linas Kleiza, who played seven seasons in the NBA with Portland and Denver, led Lithuania with 20 points.
Spain beat Croatia 92-66 earlier in the bronze medal game.
Sergio Llull scored 21 points and Marc Gasol added 17 for Spain to cruise past Croatia 92-66.
Spain was the two-time defending champion but lost to France in the semifinals. Croatia was looking for its first medal since taking bronze in 1995.
Spain routed Croatia 68-40 in its championship opener, meaning it beat the team by a combined 54 points over two games.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 5 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged 50 min ago
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom 32 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter' 43 min ago
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos