Texans DE J.J. Watt named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The honors just keep piling up for Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt.
The second-year player was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week following his performance at Jacksonville on Sunday. It is the first time Watt has won the award and the seventh time a Texans defensive player has garnered the honor.
Watt followed up a strong performance in Week 1 by leading the team in tackles, recording 1.5 sacks, three quarterback pressures, a fumble recovery and deflecting two passes against the Jaguars. It was Watt's third career multi-sack game and his second of this season. Watt's five passes defensed are tied for third-most in the NFL and are the most by a defensive lineman.
Led by Watt, the Texans defense held the Jags to a franchise-record low 117 total yards of offense in the game and only gave up nine first downs. The defense forced the Jaguars into a three-and-out on seven of 12 possessions and did not allow the Jaguars to convert any of their nine third-down attempts.
Running back Arian Foster won the AFC Offensive Player of the Week twice last season -- in Weeks 4 and 7. The last time a defensive player for the Texans won the weekly award was Glover Quin in Week 12 of 2010.
houston texans, nfl, nfl
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 30 min ago
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 2 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire 18 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out