Broncos LB Joe Mays suspended 1 game for hit to Texans QB Matt Schaub
ENGLEWOOD, CO -- Denver Broncos linebacker Joe Mays will be suspended for one game and fined $50,000 by the NFL for his hit on Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub over the weekend.
Mays drew a roughing-the-passer penalty for his third-quarter hit on Schaub, who lost part of his earlobe when his helmet flew off in a 31-25 win Sunday.
As part of his suspension, Mays won't practice with the Broncos this week or be at the team's headquarters as they prepare for the Oakland Raiders on Sunday. He will be reinstated Monday.
Mays can appeal the suspension.
When asked after the game if he expected to be fined, Mays said: "Oh yeah. I'm expecting that. But it was not my intention to do that."
Mays is a fifth-year player from North Dakota State.
houston texans, nfl, nfl
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW 10 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 26 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'