Texans DE J.J. Watt named AFC Defensive Player of the Month
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Is the Texans' J.J. Watt the best defensive player in the NFL? Well, he certainly was last month.
The defensive end was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month for September after leading the NFL in sacks and helping the Texans to a 4-0 record.
Watt leads Houston's top-ranked defense with 7.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hits, five passes defensed and two fumble recoveries. He was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week after tallying 1.5 sacks for 11 yards, a fumble recovery and two passes defensed in Week 2 at Jacksonville.
Watt followed that performance with 2.5 sacks for 11.5 yards and four tackles for loss in Week 3 at Denver. Watt continued his stellar play against Tennessee in Week 4 with 2.0 sacks for 17 yards, three tackles for loss and a fumble recovery.
The 6-5, 295-pound second-year player leads all AFC defensive linemen with nine passes defensed since he came to the NFL. He ranks second on the team with 32 total tackles this season.
Watt is the third Texan to win defensive player of the month honors, and sixth player overall, in franchise history. Former Texans S Marcus Coleman was named AFC Defensive Player of the Month in September of 2003 and OLB Connor Barwin was named AFC Defensive Player of the Month in November of 2011.
houston texans, nfl, nfl
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone