Widow, son get new home from Texans after husband dies from injuries suffered in Iraq
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Last December, the Houston Texans surprised a woman and her son with the news they would be receiving a new mortgage-free house through Operation Finally Home. Eyewitness Sports was on hand as Sara and Landon Wood moved into their new Alvin home.
The diehard Texans fans received a Battle Red escort into their new driveway by Texans center Chris Myers, linebacker Whitney Mercilus and Texans mascot Toro.
The Texans teamed up with Operation Finally Home to build the Woods a new home. Sara's husband, Marine Staff Sergeant Scott Wood, was injured in Iraq. He would later die from his injuries after returning.
His wife and young son were overwhelmed Tuesday by the generosity.
When we asked what her husband would think, Sara replied, "First, he'd be thinking I'd want to be down there meeting those football players. But he said, before he left on every deployment, he said he'd always take care of us. And I know he is. So I hope he's proud of me."
"It can never replace Scott, never, never replace Scott. But it gives them a sense of security and also a love," said Dan Wallrath with Operation Finally Home.
"Sara and Landon are going to have a great home and kind of a fresh start. It's not going to fix a lot of the problems they've had to deal with the past year, but you know it's some way to kind of get them going," Myers said.
"Blessed to do something good for someone," said the rookie, Mercilus.
Dynamic Builders constructed the new home, Gallery Furniture helped fill it and Reliant Energy will supply free electricity for a year.
Landon can't get enough of his Texans room.
"It's amazing," he said. "Pretty cool."
"It's amazing, it's wonderful. He's got his room upstairs, he's so excited. To see him smile so much and be so happy, I'm so excited," Sara said.
houston texans, nfl, nfl, bob slovak
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck 6 min ago
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard 14 min ago
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir 7 min ago
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip club
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today 51 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 21 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 19 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 23 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident