Ndamukong Suh will not be suspended for hit on Texans Matt Schaub
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Ndamukong Suh might lose some money for his low blow against Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.
The Detroit Lions defensive tackle, though, will be able to play Sunday at home against the Indianapolis Colts.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tweeted Monday that the Lions have been notified that Suh won't be suspended for last Thursday's "incident," though it will be reviewed for a potential fine.
Suh was on his chest after being taken down by an offensive lineman and extended his left foot to hit Schaub below the belt. Suh's left cleat connected with Schaub's groin area after he threw a pass in the first quarter of Houston's 34-31 overtime win.
Schaub went to his knees, doubled over in pain, but stayed in the game.
It wasn't clear on replays Thursday whether it was intentional and Suh hasn't spoken publicly.
Texans linebacker Connor Barwin said he did not think Suh should have been suspended.
"I didn't think it was malicious, or a really violent thing, but it was definitely unnecessary," Barwin said Monday. "Just a little something extra at the end."
Suh was suspended for two games a year ago after he was ejected for stomping on the right arm of Green Bay offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith during a game on Thanksgiving. He has been fined in previous seasons for roughing up quarterbacks: Cincinnati's Andy Dalton, Chicago's Jay Cutler and Cleveland's Jake Delhomme.
"He's building quite a track record of just unnecessary plays," Texans left tackle Duane Brown said. "I consider him to be a very talented player, a very physical player. There's just stuff that you have to do away with. It can get people hurt and it's uncalled for.
"It's our job up front to keep him away from our quarterback. But if our quarterback is able to get rid of the ball, he should be protected from that point on. He can't take kicks to the groin, he can't be pulled down two seconds after the ball is gone. It's nonsense."
houston texans, nfl, nfl
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 9 min ago
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids 5 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 15 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Three Webster officers go before judge today
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom 56 min ago
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank 39 min ago
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire 43 min ago