TE James Casey leaves Houston Texans, signs with Philadelphia Eagles
HOUSTON -- Philadelphia signed the versatile tight end James Casey, one of the Texans' unrestricted free agents.
Several teams reportedly lined up to court Casey, who had his best statistical season in 2012, setting career highs in receptions (34) and yards receiving (330). A fifth-round pick out of Rice in 2009, Casey began his career at tight end, then moved to fullback in 2011, after Vonta Leach signed with Baltimore.
Safety Glover Quin, outside linebacker Connor Barwin, cornerback Brice McCain, nose tackle Shaun Cody and linebacker Tim Dobbins were among Houston's other unrestricted free agents.
Quin was a fourth-round pick in 2009 and played cornerback for two seasons before moving to safety in 2011. He made 107 tackles, including his first career sack, and intercepted two passes in 2012. He's started 60 consecutive games and intercepted five passes for the Texans.
Barwin's numbers dipped after he led the Texans with 11 1/2 sacks in 2011. He had only three sacks, but deflected five passes in 16 starts in 2012. Barwin moved to outside linebacker in 2011 after missing most of the 2010 season with a broken right ankle.
McCain, 26, missed the final four regular-season games and the playoffs with a broken left foot. He had surgery on Dec. 3 and the recovery was expected to take about eight weeks. McCain was a sixth-round pick by Houston in 2009. He broke up 26 passes and had four interceptions in his four seasons.
Cody missed three games last season with back soreness, and he had surgery to fix a herniated disk in February. Cody who played at Southern Cal, was drafted in the second round in 2005 by Detroit and signed with the Texans as a free agent in 2009.
Earl Mitchell proved to be a capable backup to Cody, making 51 tackles, deflecting three passes and forcing a fumble in 2012.
Dobbins signed with the Texans as a free agent in August 2011. He stepped into a starting role in 2012 after Brian Cushing tore his left anterior cruciate ligament against the New York Jets on Oct. 8. Dobbins made 43 tackles and recovered four fumbles in 14 games last season. He was also Houston's special-teams captain.
houston texans, nfl, nfl
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County 47 min ago
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- It's Free Stuff Friday! 26 min ago
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
48 min ago
- Houston's cardinal to attend popes'...
25 min ago