Senator detained after bringing gun into airport
(10/11/05 - McALLEN, TX) -- A South Texas lawmaker detained by police after bringing a handgun through an airport metal detector said Monday he made a mistake and that he had a permit to carry the weapon.
Sen. Juan Hinojosa, D-McAllen, was found with a 9 mm handgun in his briefcase as he passed through security at Miller International Aiport in McAllen, Harlingen television station KGBT reported. Airport security discovered the weapon and Hinojosa was taken to the McAllen Police Department before being released.
"I made a mistake in rushing to the airport and not checking my briefcase prior to entering the McAllen Miller International Airport," Hinojosa said in a statement. "The airport security at McAllen Miller International was doing their job."
Hinojosa said police verified his concealed handgun permit, identity and traced the weapon before releasing him.
McAllen police and a woman answering the phone at the airport would not comment when contacted by The Associated Press late Monday.
(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Bicyclist hit by SUV in Walmart parking lot in NW Harris Co.
- Uncle: Aaron Hernandez had connection to murder victim 58 min ago
- Four cars go up in flames at apartment complex parking lot 34 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Stampede over Beckham injures 5 in Shanghai 57 min ago
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos