Three family members die in Panhandle accident
(2/02/06 - VEGA, TX) -- Three family members are dead and two others remain hospitalized in Amarillo today after their sport-utility vehicle rolled over along Interstate 40 in the Panhandle.
The Texas Department of Public Safety identifies the dead as 43-year-old Juan Salas of Perryton and 75-year-old Francisco Salas and Petra Salas, age unknown, both of Aurora, Illinois. They died in yesterday's accident about 50 miles west of Amarillo.
The DPS says the family's 1997 Ford Expedition was eastbound on the interstate about 19 miles west of Vega when the vehicle left the road and rolled over.
Juan Salas and Francisco Salas died at the scene. Petra Salas died while being airlifted to Northwest Texas Hospital in Amarillo.
Four-year-old Angel Salas was listed in stable condition, while 41-year-old Maria Salas was in serious condition at the Amarillo hospital.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects