How did she get the nickname: Lady Bird?
(7/11/07 - AUSTIN, TX) -- Just how did Lady Bird Johnson get the name that stuck with her for decades?
She was born Claudia Alta Taylor in 1912 and grew up in the Karnack area. Her father was a wealthy merchant. She was five when her mother died.
Mrs. Johnson received her nickname in infancy from a caretaker nurse who said she was as quote: "pretty as a lady bird."
She graduated from Marshall High School at age 15 and prepared for college at St. Mary's Episcopal School for Girls in Dallas.
At the University of Texas she studied journalism and took enough education courses to qualify as a teacher. She received a bachelor of arts degree in 1933 and a bachelor of journalism in 1934.
A few weeks later, through a friend, she met Lyndon Baines Johnson. He proposed the day after their first date. They married within two months.
The former president died in 1973.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees 42 min ago
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses 48 min ago
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans