Venomous snake bites students in class
BIG SANDY, TX -- Two high school students bitten by a venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas hospital.
School officials in Big Sandy said Tuesday the students were bitten by a cottonmouth snake their teacher had misidentified as non-venomous. They were taken to a hospital Monday when their hands began swelling.
Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene said Tuesday the students are OK but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a nearby zoo.
Beene said the school district would revisit its policies about bringing animals on campus.
State News Channel | 100 most recent Texas stories
Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 29 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana 35 min ago
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?