Venomous snake bites students in class
BIG SANDY, TX -- Two high school students bitten by a venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas hospital.
School officials in Big Sandy said Tuesday the students were bitten by a cottonmouth snake their teacher had misidentified as non-venomous. They were taken to a hospital Monday when their hands began swelling.
Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene said Tuesday the students are OK but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a nearby zoo.
Beene said the school district would revisit its policies about bringing animals on campus.
State News Channel | 100 most recent Texas stories
Slideshow archive | ABC13 wireless | Headlines at a glance
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 26 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 40 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter'
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver