Kinky exiting governor's race
AUSTIN, TX -- Musician and humorist Kinky Friedman says he's getting out of the race to be Texas governor.
Friedman says he'll file as a Democratic candidate for state agriculture commissioner, instead.
Friedman says he decided to drop his gubernatorial bid after visiting with Democratic candidate Bill White over the weekend.
While Friedman says he was impressed with White, he's not endorsing a Democratic candidate in that race. Friedman is longtime friends with Houston hair product magnate Farouk Shami, who is also a Democratic candidate for governor.
Friedman says he's making the change "with a happy heart."
Friedman ran for governor as an independent unsuccessfully in 2006.
kinky friedman, state
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 46 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW 55 min ago
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations 7 min ago
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'