Kinky exiting governor's race
AUSTIN, TX -- Musician and humorist Kinky Friedman says he's getting out of the race to be Texas governor.
Friedman says he'll file as a Democratic candidate for state agriculture commissioner, instead.
Friedman says he decided to drop his gubernatorial bid after visiting with Democratic candidate Bill White over the weekend.
While Friedman says he was impressed with White, he's not endorsing a Democratic candidate in that race. Friedman is longtime friends with Houston hair product magnate Farouk Shami, who is also a Democratic candidate for governor.
Friedman says he's making the change "with a happy heart."
Friedman ran for governor as an independent unsuccessfully in 2006.
kinky friedman, state
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant 55 min ago
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 58 min ago