Kinky exiting governor's race
AUSTIN, TX -- Musician and humorist Kinky Friedman says he's getting out of the race to be Texas governor.
Friedman says he'll file as a Democratic candidate for state agriculture commissioner, instead.
Friedman says he decided to drop his gubernatorial bid after visiting with Democratic candidate Bill White over the weekend.
While Friedman says he was impressed with White, he's not endorsing a Democratic candidate in that race. Friedman is longtime friends with Houston hair product magnate Farouk Shami, who is also a Democratic candidate for governor.
Friedman says he's making the change "with a happy heart."
Friedman ran for governor as an independent unsuccessfully in 2006.
kinky friedman, state
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 40 min ago
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 29 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach 48 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates 28 min ago
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today