Police say girl taken from home found safe in TX
HUGO, OK -- Hugo police say a 4-year-old child is safe after she disappeared with a man who claimed to be her father.
Officers alleged that Walter Caffey took the girl from her home about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. Lt. John Mitchell said Caffey put the girl in his car and told her brother they were going to get a soda, but they never returned.
Mitchell says Caffey had claimed to the child's father, and told relatives and police he wouldn't be bringing her back. Officers said he was headed for Shreveport, La., with the girl.
A dispatcher said authorities found the two in Paris, Texas, about 4 p.m. and arrested Caffey on a child stealing complaint.
He is being held at the Lamar County jail in Texas on $50,000 bail.
oklahoma, texas, state
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Investigators want new probe of 1996 TWA crash
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Task force to look at Sugar Land red light cameras
- Don't they like the way he looks?
- Astros to announce signing of top pick Appel today 33 min ago
- Feds: Men tried to make X-ray weapon
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos