Ex-priest to be extradited from Kansas to Texas
LAWRENCE, KS -- A former Catholic priest wanted on sex crime charges in Texas has agreed to be extradited from Kansas.
John M. Fiala, 51, said Tuesday during a Douglas County Court hearing that he was willing to be sent to Texas.
Fiala is wanted in Edwards County, Texas, on four counts of sex crimes against children. He was arrested Sept. 3 in Lawrence and was being held in the Douglas County jail on $100,000 bond.
The Lawrence Journal-World reports that Fiala was removed from the priesthood in 2008 after the allegations in Texas surfaced.
Fiala had served as a priest in Shawnee and Holton, Kan., and also worked in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Mo., from 1998 to 2001.
No sexual abuse charges have been filed against Fiala in Kansas or Missouri.
kansas, texas, state
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death 4 min ago
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 7 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- New cameras to help cops settle disputes
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- One dead, others injured in Baytown wreck 7 min ago
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market 59 min ago
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day