Mexican national pleads guilty to capital murder
EDINBURG, TX -- A Rio Grande Valley jury will be deciding whether a 45-year-old Mexican national should be sentenced to death after he pleaded guilty to a 2008 massacre that left four relatives, including his 3-year-old son, shot to death.
Roberto Rojas entered the plea Monday to two counts of capital murder and another count of attempted capital murder as his trial was about to begin in Edinburg.
Rojas was arrested after his father-in-law beat him with a .22-caliber rifle authorities said Rojas used to beat his former wife. She survived, but killed were 8-year-old Mauro and 6-year-old Silvestre Garza, his stepsons; his 3-year-old son Osiel Rojas; and 45-year-old mother-in-law Amelia Rivera Flores.
Jurors Tuesday will be asked to accept his guilty plea and then begin hearing punishment testimony. Prosecutors are seeking death.
texas, mexico, state
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 48 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale