Mexican national pleads guilty to capital murder
EDINBURG, TX -- A Rio Grande Valley jury will be deciding whether a 45-year-old Mexican national should be sentenced to death after he pleaded guilty to a 2008 massacre that left four relatives, including his 3-year-old son, shot to death.
Roberto Rojas entered the plea Monday to two counts of capital murder and another count of attempted capital murder as his trial was about to begin in Edinburg.
Rojas was arrested after his father-in-law beat him with a .22-caliber rifle authorities said Rojas used to beat his former wife. She survived, but killed were 8-year-old Mauro and 6-year-old Silvestre Garza, his stepsons; his 3-year-old son Osiel Rojas; and 45-year-old mother-in-law Amelia Rivera Flores.
Jurors Tuesday will be asked to accept his guilty plea and then begin hearing punishment testimony. Prosecutors are seeking death.
texas, mexico, state
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler 9 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke 5 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- How to lose the last 10 pounds
- Man killed while trying to cross North Freeway
- Missing stop sign blamed for accident in Montgomery Co.
- Ford to offer 50th anniversary Mustang