German Defense Minister visits El Paso and NM
EL PASO, TX -- The office of German Defense Minister Thomas de Maiziere says he'll visit German military personnel stationed in West Texas and southeast New Mexico.
The minister is in North America for a five-day visit to the U.S. and Canada where he will meet top army and diplomatic officials.
De Maiziere's office said in a Tuesday release that he'll meet Wednesday with German troops training at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, and airmen training at Holloman Air Force Base, in southeast New Mexico.
German troops train at Fort Bliss in the use of the Patriot missiles, among other programs, while Luftwaffe members train to fly Tornado fighters at Holloman.
De Maiziere will meet with his American counterpart Leon Panetta Thursday to discuss developments in Afghanistan and within NATO.
texas, new mexico, state
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety 1 min ago
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?