German Defense Minister visits El Paso and NM
EL PASO, TX -- The office of German Defense Minister Thomas de Maiziere says he'll visit German military personnel stationed in West Texas and southeast New Mexico.
The minister is in North America for a five-day visit to the U.S. and Canada where he will meet top army and diplomatic officials.
De Maiziere's office said in a Tuesday release that he'll meet Wednesday with German troops training at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, and airmen training at Holloman Air Force Base, in southeast New Mexico.
German troops train at Fort Bliss in the use of the Patriot missiles, among other programs, while Luftwaffe members train to fly Tornado fighters at Holloman.
De Maiziere will meet with his American counterpart Leon Panetta Thursday to discuss developments in Afghanistan and within NATO.
texas, new mexico, state
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston 9 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery