Four die in fiery multi-vehicle wreck in Midland area
MIDLAND, TX -- Investigators say four people have died in a fiery multi-vehicle accident that closed a West Texas interstate for several hours.
I-20 near Midland International Airport reopened Thursday night.
Names of the four victims in three vehicles were not immediately released. Authorities say the driver of a fourth vehicle survived.
Midland Fire Department official David Hickman says debris from Thursday afternoon's wreck ended up more than 100 feet from the highway.
The Department of Public Safety says a tractor-trailer rig traveling east on I-20 apparently went off the road and hit a westbound 18-wheeler. Officials say a truck hauling cattle then drove through the fiery scene and crashed.
DPS says a pickup then hit some boxes of produce being hauled by one of the big rigs. The pickup driver survived.
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course