Man allegedly used Craigslist to recruit smugglers
McALLEN, TX -- Prosecutors say a Mexican man has been accused of using Craigslist to recruit drivers to transport illegal immigrants in Texas.
Border Patrol officers on March 14 arrested 29-year-old Jose Gustavo Diaz-Velasquez in Rio Grande City. A judge in McAllen on Wednesday ordered him held without bond on immigrant smuggling charges.
Investigators believe Diaz-Velasquez has been living illegally in the U.S. Further details on where he's from in Mexico were not immediately released.
The investigation began last August when federal agents identified at least 10 online postings believed connected to the human smuggling ring.
Officials traced the Craigslist postings to a McAllen apartment associated with the suspect's wife.
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston