Man allegedly used Craigslist to recruit smugglers
McALLEN, TX -- Prosecutors say a Mexican man has been accused of using Craigslist to recruit drivers to transport illegal immigrants in Texas.
Border Patrol officers on March 14 arrested 29-year-old Jose Gustavo Diaz-Velasquez in Rio Grande City. A judge in McAllen on Wednesday ordered him held without bond on immigrant smuggling charges.
Investigators believe Diaz-Velasquez has been living illegally in the U.S. Further details on where he's from in Mexico were not immediately released.
The investigation began last August when federal agents identified at least 10 online postings believed connected to the human smuggling ring.
Officials traced the Craigslist postings to a McAllen apartment associated with the suspect's wife.
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County 32 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 34 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan 37 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies 55 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
9 min ago