Man allegedly used Craigslist to recruit smugglers
McALLEN, TX -- Prosecutors say a Mexican man has been accused of using Craigslist to recruit drivers to transport illegal immigrants in Texas.
Border Patrol officers on March 14 arrested 29-year-old Jose Gustavo Diaz-Velasquez in Rio Grande City. A judge in McAllen on Wednesday ordered him held without bond on immigrant smuggling charges.
Investigators believe Diaz-Velasquez has been living illegally in the U.S. Further details on where he's from in Mexico were not immediately released.
The investigation began last August when federal agents identified at least 10 online postings believed connected to the human smuggling ring.
Officials traced the Craigslist postings to a McAllen apartment associated with the suspect's wife.
- Severe weather possible across Houston area 58 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 10 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 10 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
38 min ago