Review exposes Texas DPS contract problem
AUSTIN, TX -- A state audit shows the Texas Department of Public Safety improperly used nearly $1 million in federal stimulus money when it overpaid a private border security contract in 2010 but returned the money to the federal account the following year.
The review by the Compliance and Oversight Division of the governor's office was obtained by the Austin American-Statesman under a Freedom of Information request.
The newspaper reports Friday the contract went to a Virginia company and exposed a problem that the agency's grants department didn't keep copies of contracts to vendors.
Department of Public Safety officials say they're putting procedures in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 19 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 41 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today 56 min ago
- Rescuers rush to reach hundreds in SKorean ferry 26 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas