Review exposes Texas DPS contract problem
AUSTIN, TX -- A state audit shows the Texas Department of Public Safety improperly used nearly $1 million in federal stimulus money when it overpaid a private border security contract in 2010 but returned the money to the federal account the following year.
The review by the Compliance and Oversight Division of the governor's office was obtained by the Austin American-Statesman under a Freedom of Information request.
The newspaper reports Friday the contract went to a Virginia company and exposed a problem that the agency's grants department didn't keep copies of contracts to vendors.
Department of Public Safety officials say they're putting procedures in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 12 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 9 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her 48 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale 11 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube 58 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos