Texan gets 40 months for smuggling $109K
GULFPORT, MI -- A 23-year-old Brownsville, Texas, man will spend 40 months in prison for smuggling more than $100,000 from Georgia to Mexico after pleading guilty to conspiracy to transport currency out of the United States.
The Sun Herald reports U.S. District Judge Walker Gex III imposed the sentence against Gilbert Cuello III Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Gulfport, Miss.
A Jackson County deputy stopped Cuello on Oct. 6 in an SUV on Interstate 10 for a seat-belt violation. Cuello and his wife told the deputy they were returning home to Texas after a trip to Georgia.
Inside in vehicle, deputies found bundles of cash wrapped in plastic. More bundles were later found stuffed into a lead-lined stereo speaker. The total seized was $109,131.
texas, mexico, georgia, state
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston 56 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 2 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side 24 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker 13 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing 1 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands