Texas Marine killed in Afghanistan back in US
DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, DE -- The remains of a 30-year-old South Texas Marine have arrived in the United States after his death in action in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Joseph H. Fankhauser of McAllen died Sunday in his fifth combat deployment since joining the Marine Corps in 2000.
Air Force Lt. Lori Fiorello said Fankhauser's body arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Wednesday afternoon. A memorial Facebook page for Fankhauser says funeral is pending in Oceanside, Calif.
A Marine Corps statement said Fankhauser died Sunday in the Helmand province of southern Afghanistan, where he was an explosive ordinance disposal technician. He was assigned to the 7th Engineer Support Battalion, 1st Marine Logistics Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Pendleton, Calif.
texas, afghanistan, state
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play 3 min ago
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV 51 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days