Texas Marine killed in Afghanistan back in US
DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, DE -- The remains of a 30-year-old South Texas Marine have arrived in the United States after his death in action in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Joseph H. Fankhauser of McAllen died Sunday in his fifth combat deployment since joining the Marine Corps in 2000.
Air Force Lt. Lori Fiorello said Fankhauser's body arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Wednesday afternoon. A memorial Facebook page for Fankhauser says funeral is pending in Oceanside, Calif.
A Marine Corps statement said Fankhauser died Sunday in the Helmand province of southern Afghanistan, where he was an explosive ordinance disposal technician. He was assigned to the 7th Engineer Support Battalion, 1st Marine Logistics Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Pendleton, Calif.
texas, afghanistan, state
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC
- Social services worker in Texas stole from clients 6 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos