Texas Marine killed in Afghanistan back in US
DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, DE -- The remains of a 30-year-old South Texas Marine have arrived in the United States after his death in action in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Joseph H. Fankhauser of McAllen died Sunday in his fifth combat deployment since joining the Marine Corps in 2000.
Air Force Lt. Lori Fiorello said Fankhauser's body arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Wednesday afternoon. A memorial Facebook page for Fankhauser says funeral is pending in Oceanside, Calif.
A Marine Corps statement said Fankhauser died Sunday in the Helmand province of southern Afghanistan, where he was an explosive ordinance disposal technician. He was assigned to the 7th Engineer Support Battalion, 1st Marine Logistics Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Pendleton, Calif.
texas, afghanistan, state
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor 53 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 18 min ago
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 52 min ago
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested 35 min ago
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 13 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap 52 min ago
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt 31 min ago
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church