Police shooting in Abilene leaves armed man dead
ABILENE, TX -- Police in West Texas have shot and killed a gunman who allegedly slipped into his estranged wife's home by removing an air conditioner.
Abilene Police Chief Stan Standridge says the man died at a hospital following Wednesday morning's shooting. The wife wasn't hurt.
The woman called 911 to say her estranged spouse was in her bedroom. Police say the man apparently removed a window air conditioning unit to get inside and threatened to kill her. He then allegedly walked to the backyard.
Standridge says the 49-year-old man, whose name wasn't immediately released, had a loaded revolver. The suspect allegedly pointed the gun at officers and wouldn't surrender.
Both officers opened fire and shot him several times.
The officers have been put on administrative leave during a review of the incident.
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90 47 min ago
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC
- Social services worker stole from clients in SE Texas
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song 55 min ago
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos