Texas man goes missing while swimming off Conn.
WESTBROOK, CT -- Authorities say a Texas man has disappeared while swimming with friends in Long Island Sound off the coast of Connecticut.
The Coast Guard says 20-year-old Benji Aven was swimming from Salt Island to Westbrook early Monday when he vanished. Coast Guard officers were notified of his disappearance late Monday morning and began searching for him.
Other local and state emergency responders have joined in the search. They haven't found Aven yet. His hometown wasn't available.
The Coast Guard says the waters of the Long Island Sound can be especially hazardous at night.
texas, connecticut, state
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Gas station clerk shoots robbery suspect 34 min ago
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from hotel
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans