Texas man goes missing while swimming off Conn.
WESTBROOK, CT -- Authorities say a Texas man has disappeared while swimming with friends in Long Island Sound off the coast of Connecticut.
The Coast Guard says 20-year-old Benji Aven was swimming from Salt Island to Westbrook early Monday when he vanished. Coast Guard officers were notified of his disappearance late Monday morning and began searching for him.
Other local and state emergency responders have joined in the search. They haven't found Aven yet. His hometown wasn't available.
The Coast Guard says the waters of the Long Island Sound can be especially hazardous at night.
texas, connecticut, state
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail