El Paso ISD leaders choose another superintendent
EL PASO, Texas -- A West Texas school district still dealing with a public corruption scandal has hired another temporary leader.
El Paso Independent School District trustees early Wednesday voted to hire Vernon Butler as interim superintendent. Butler worked more than 35 years in El Paso-area school districts.
Butler is the third person to lead the EPISD since then-superintendent Lorenzo Garcia was arrested last summer and resigned in November. Garcia in June pleaded guilty to mail fraud in an inflated tests scores scheme. He faces sentencing next month.
Butler replaces Ken George, who on Sept. 11 was named interim superintendent for a minimum two weeks. George took over for Terri Jordan, who returned to her job as district chief of staff.
EPISD leaders hope to have a new superintendent by early next year.
- Montgomery County DWI cases under scrutiny
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: Teen at center of alleged assault partially lied
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves
- Houston city pools open this weekend
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos