New effort underway to make texting while driving in Texas illegal
AUSTIN, TX (KTRK) -- A new effort underway in Texas to outlaw texting while driving.
Yesterday was the first day lawmakers in Austin could file bills for the next legislative session and the proposal was once again on the list.
A similar bill passed during the legislature's last session, but Governor Perry vetoed it and claimed the government was overreaching and trying to micro-manage the behavior of adults.
State law already bans drivers under 18 from texting while driving.
- Walmart in Kemah on lockdown 39 min ago
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case