New effort underway to make texting while driving in Texas illegal
AUSTIN, TX (KTRK) -- A new effort underway in Texas to outlaw texting while driving.
Yesterday was the first day lawmakers in Austin could file bills for the next legislative session and the proposal was once again on the list.
A similar bill passed during the legislature's last session, but Governor Perry vetoed it and claimed the government was overreaching and trying to micro-manage the behavior of adults.
State law already bans drivers under 18 from texting while driving.
- Girl finds mother shot to death in SW Houston 12 min ago
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe 2 min ago
- Apartments under construction burn in 2-alarm blaze
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it terminated 58 min ago
- Video: Dog shoplifts and buries treats