Off-duty Dallas deputy dies in traffic accident
QUINLAN, TX -- An off-duty Dallas County sheriff's deputy has died after a traffic accident that left a 15-year-old female relative who was driving with minor injuries.
Sheriff's officials on Tuesday announced the death of passenger Sgt. Kenneth Riggins after a pickup truck hit a tree near Quinlan, about 40 miles northeast of Dallas.
Authorities say the 52-year-old deputy from Quinlan was pronounced dead at a Greenville hospital following Monday night's wreck.
Department of Public Safety Sgt. Sgt. Lonny Haschel (HASH'-el) says the girl was also transported to the hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. Further details on her were not immediately released.
Riggins most recently served in the sheriff's office of strategic planning. He'd been with the department for 20 years.
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthough year' 3 min ago
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records 50 min ago
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash