Skydiver, 90, jumps 11,000 feet onto South Padre
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, TX -- A 90-year-old man has successfully skydived from 11,000 feet on South Padre Island.
Russell Louden tells the Brownsville Herald that he's wanted to jump out of a plane ever since he tried to become a paratrooper during World War II. On Jan. 19, the Weslaco resident made the jump.
His plane took off from Brownsville/South Padre International Airport and dropped him over the island. He landed in the warm sand.
About 20 of his friends came to cheer him on before his jump.
The company that took him on the jump, Skydive South Padre, says Louden is the oldest person to skydive from one of its planes.
The previous record was set by an 89-year-old woman from El Paso.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 49 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates 48 min ago
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today