Skydiver, 90, jumps 11,000 feet onto South Padre
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, TX -- A 90-year-old man has successfully skydived from 11,000 feet on South Padre Island.
Russell Louden tells the Brownsville Herald that he's wanted to jump out of a plane ever since he tried to become a paratrooper during World War II. On Jan. 19, the Weslaco resident made the jump.
His plane took off from Brownsville/South Padre International Airport and dropped him over the island. He landed in the warm sand.
About 20 of his friends came to cheer him on before his jump.
The company that took him on the jump, Skydive South Padre, says Louden is the oldest person to skydive from one of its planes.
The previous record was set by an 89-year-old woman from El Paso.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl 12 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 48 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston 24 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians