Local dad helps catch sex offender at cheer contest
SAN ANTONIO, TX (KTRK) -- A convicted sex offender is back in jail because of what he's accused of doing at a cheerleading competition in San Antonio, and we spoke with the Houston-area father who helped catch him.
Just a day after competing, the cheerleaders of Edgar Ruiz's All Star Revolution are back in Houston and already back at it, but with a little more to think about
It was Sunday morning inside the Alamodome in San Antonio. The place was packed for the American Cheer Power Southern National Championships.
Deer Park dad Troy Harrison was looking for a group of seats for his nine-year-old daughter's team when he saw a man with a video camera, and something just wasn't right.
"He was zooming in on the female participants performing, and you couldn't see their face," Harrison said. "You could only see places he shouldn't be zooming in."
And if video wasn't enough, Harrison says the man was also snapping photos. Another parent summoned a San Antonio police officer who watched for himself before making the arrest.
"These people are sick," Harrison said. "They got problems. It's something they plan out."
Andrew Sanchez III, 60, is charged with improper photography. It turns out he is a registered sex offender. In 2008, he was convicted of possession of child pornography and sentenced to three years in prison.
Coach Ruiz has never had to worry about this for his athletes before. Harrison's daughter left with a first place trophy and he with a lesson learned
"If something doesn't look right, something doesn't feel right, get someone involved and ask questions," he said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
texas, state, jessica willey
- weather: Rain moving through our area
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Foster tweets he's been medically cleared to play 2 min ago
- Search for missing jet now includes 25 countries
- 3 pieces of evidence point to jet's takeover
- Wrong way driver dies after slamming into students' SUV 45 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Houston Ship Channel collision under investigation
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days