Local dad helps catch sex offender at cheer contest
SAN ANTONIO, TX (KTRK) -- A convicted sex offender is back in jail because of what he's accused of doing at a cheerleading competition in San Antonio, and we spoke with the Houston-area father who helped catch him.
Just a day after competing, the cheerleaders of Edgar Ruiz's All Star Revolution are back in Houston and already back at it, but with a little more to think about
It was Sunday morning inside the Alamodome in San Antonio. The place was packed for the American Cheer Power Southern National Championships.
Deer Park dad Troy Harrison was looking for a group of seats for his nine-year-old daughter's team when he saw a man with a video camera, and something just wasn't right.
"He was zooming in on the female participants performing, and you couldn't see their face," Harrison said. "You could only see places he shouldn't be zooming in."
And if video wasn't enough, Harrison says the man was also snapping photos. Another parent summoned a San Antonio police officer who watched for himself before making the arrest.
"These people are sick," Harrison said. "They got problems. It's something they plan out."
Andrew Sanchez III, 60, is charged with improper photography. It turns out he is a registered sex offender. In 2008, he was convicted of possession of child pornography and sentenced to three years in prison.
Coach Ruiz has never had to worry about this for his athletes before. Harrison's daughter left with a first place trophy and he with a lesson learned
"If something doesn't look right, something doesn't feel right, get someone involved and ask questions," he said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
texas, state, jessica willey
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston