Local dad helps catch sex offender at cheer contest
SAN ANTONIO, TX (KTRK) -- A convicted sex offender is back in jail because of what he's accused of doing at a cheerleading competition in San Antonio, and we spoke with the Houston-area father who helped catch him.
Just a day after competing, the cheerleaders of Edgar Ruiz's All Star Revolution are back in Houston and already back at it, but with a little more to think about
It was Sunday morning inside the Alamodome in San Antonio. The place was packed for the American Cheer Power Southern National Championships.
Deer Park dad Troy Harrison was looking for a group of seats for his nine-year-old daughter's team when he saw a man with a video camera, and something just wasn't right.
"He was zooming in on the female participants performing, and you couldn't see their face," Harrison said. "You could only see places he shouldn't be zooming in."
And if video wasn't enough, Harrison says the man was also snapping photos. Another parent summoned a San Antonio police officer who watched for himself before making the arrest.
"These people are sick," Harrison said. "They got problems. It's something they plan out."
Andrew Sanchez III, 60, is charged with improper photography. It turns out he is a registered sex offender. In 2008, he was convicted of possession of child pornography and sentenced to three years in prison.
Coach Ruiz has never had to worry about this for his athletes before. Harrison's daughter left with a first place trophy and he with a lesson learned
"If something doesn't look right, something doesn't feel right, get someone involved and ask questions," he said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
texas, state, jessica willey
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths 17 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable 42 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 9 min ago
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos