Mom, 3 children die in South Texas SUV wreck
GEORGE WEST, TX -- Investigators say a woman and her three children have died after their SUV hit a tree and burst into flames in a South Texas wreck.
The Department of Public Safety says the victims were dead at the scene Sunday morning in the accident about 12 miles northeast of George West. DPS says the woman's husband survived but suffered a broken left arm and left leg.
Officials say 22-year-old Joannie Lopez of George West was driving when the SUV went off U.S. 59. The accident also killed 2-year-olds Christopher and Alonzo Lopez, plus 3-year-old Andrew Lopez Jr.
Investigators say the woman was the only person wearing a seat belt and driver fatigue may have contributed to the accident.
George West is 60 miles northwest of Corpus Christi.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle