Mom, 3 children die in South Texas SUV wreck
GEORGE WEST, TX -- Investigators say a woman and her three children have died after their SUV hit a tree and burst into flames in a South Texas wreck.
The Department of Public Safety says the victims were dead at the scene Sunday morning in the accident about 12 miles northeast of George West. DPS says the woman's husband survived but suffered a broken left arm and left leg.
Officials say 22-year-old Joannie Lopez of George West was driving when the SUV went off U.S. 59. The accident also killed 2-year-olds Christopher and Alonzo Lopez, plus 3-year-old Andrew Lopez Jr.
Investigators say the woman was the only person wearing a seat belt and driver fatigue may have contributed to the accident.
George West is 60 miles northwest of Corpus Christi.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston 7 min ago
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges 21 min ago
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far? 17 min ago
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car 14 min ago
- Youngest Oklahoma tornado victims remembered by kin 27 min ago
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- Japanese climber, 80, becomes oldest atop Everest 8 min ago
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved