Marine makes surprise visit to Corpus Christi benefactor
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX -- A South Texas Marine has made a surprise thank-you visit to a produce company owner who sent care packages to him and his fellow troops overseas.
Sgt. Ricky Hernandez wore his dress blues Saturday to meet Margaret Jataine, who owns Corpus Christi Produce Co. Inc.
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times reports Jataine sent the tank crew commander and his team about 20 boxes of food and other comfort items.
She first saw a photo of the Marine serving in Afghanistan on Facebook. Jataine connected with the Marine's mother-in-law -- a vegetable supply woman from nearby Floresville.
Henandez has served two tours in Iraq and returned last month from Afghanistan. He's stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and was visiting at home before heading to master gunner school.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking 54 min ago
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area 58 min ago
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- Help the TSU band get to Canton with Michael Strahan