Police: Man fabricated robbery to hide visit to topless bar
LA FERIA, TX -- Police say a 21-year-old South Texas man has admitted to concocting a story about being robbed of $1,000 because he didn't want his wife to learn he spent the money at a topless bar.
KGBT-TV in Harlingen reports Jesus Mata of San Benito recently received a tax refund and decided to spend the money Wednesday at the bar in La Feria.
He later contacted police to say gunmen with assault weapons took the money.
Law enforcement in the area conducted a search for the suspects. Mata was questioned a second time and inconsistencies were found in his story.
He was taken into custody Thursday and transported to the Cameron County jail on a charge of filing a false report.
La Feria is about 130 miles south of Corpus Christi.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 46 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon