Police: Man fabricated robbery to hide visit to topless bar
LA FERIA, TX -- Police say a 21-year-old South Texas man has admitted to concocting a story about being robbed of $1,000 because he didn't want his wife to learn he spent the money at a topless bar.
KGBT-TV in Harlingen reports Jesus Mata of San Benito recently received a tax refund and decided to spend the money Wednesday at the bar in La Feria.
He later contacted police to say gunmen with assault weapons took the money.
Law enforcement in the area conducted a search for the suspects. Mata was questioned a second time and inconsistencies were found in his story.
He was taken into custody Thursday and transported to the Cameron County jail on a charge of filing a false report.
La Feria is about 130 miles south of Corpus Christi.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident 4 min ago
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games 55 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 18 min ago