Ex-San Marcos teacher gets 32 years for sex abuse
LOCKHART, TX -- A former physical education teacher at a Central Texas elementary school has been sentenced to 32 years in prison for sexual abuse of an 11-year-old student.
Prosecutors in Caldwell County say 40-year-old Steven De Leon of Martindale was convicted of continuous sexual abuse of a child.
Investigators say De Leon worked at Travis Elementary School in the San Marcos Independent School District. The girl was abused for several months during the summer of 2011.
District Attorney Trey Hicks said Tuesday that the abuse was discovered when the girl's mother found a sexually explicit conversation from De Leon on a phone. De Leon resigned last May amid allegations of the inappropriate relationship.
The former educator was sentenced Monday.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women 49 min ago
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 13 min ago
- Recognize either of these guys?
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Pap smears could be thing of the past
- Designer Western wear on a budget
- Photos: Texas A&M nursing bald eagle back to...
- Chrysler recalls 49,000 Chargers to fix headlights
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Amazon accused of cheating customers
- Utah trucker accused of keeping sex slaves